Sunday, April 12, 2009

$29.00 dresser re~do

Darn it. I had a picture of this dresser before I painted it and now that I want to post it, I can't find that. So, you are just going to have to use your imagination! Plain, ugly, wood dresser that had good "bones"
Do you have the picture in your head? OK, good. Here's the deal. My husband begged me for a long time for a dresser of his own. It seems the closet was being taken over by moi! No? Really?
Anyway, I went out one day to find a inexpensive black dresser that would match the other furniture in our room. The only one I found for a fairly reasonable price was at Target for $300.00.
I bought it while the hubby was at work and was determined to have it put together when he got home. Well, it was sort of like putting together something from Ikea. Ever had the pleasure of doing that? I got it together but after a few weeks the drawer fronts started to fall off.
Fast forward a couple months (and a couple missing drawer fronts later) I spotted a dresser at the Goodwill that was solid wood and had plenty of storage, a good shape to it, the perfect measurements (remember to always carry that tape measure and measurements)
So, I picked it up. $29.00! Yep, you heard me right, $29.00!
So starts the story on how to re-do a dresser.....
I first sanded down the whole thing with my palm sander. Then I coated it with a tinted primer. It's important to use a tinted primer when you are doing a dark color like black. I had some left over from doing my interior doors.
You can be sloppy with it. After all, it is a base coat. Make sure you sand it down really well though to take any grime, grease, or varnish it may have on it off.

Let dry.

Paint on the black or whatever color you are doing. I like to use those inexpensive foam brushes. They don't leave brush stroke marks and if you put them in a Ziploc in the fridge, you can use them over and over again. I did 3 coats of black letting it dry in between coats.

Then, using my palm sander again, I distressed the edges. When distressing you want to only hit spots that wear would normally occur over time, like the edges, or around knobs, handles.

You can "age" it to whatever your taste is. Go over it again and again until you get the look you desire.

After I distressed the drawers, I did the same technique to the dresser.



When you are done, wipe the whole thing down with a damp rag.

Now you can attach new hardware. I used the old hardware off of the Target dresser to save money. The handles that came on this dresser were dated.
And here it is......bad picture, but it fits perfect in this spot, my husband loves it! There you have it! A $29.00 dresser, done with leftover paint and leftover knobs!

p.s. we had a campfire with the old dresser. Cody thought it was cool to get to be able to tear the old one apart even more!

25 comments:

The American Homemaker said...

I always forget to take before pictures too :(

I love how it turned out!

The Bliss Journey said...

It looks great. Gotta love Goodwill. I'm really bad at the before pictures also. I'm usually too excited when starting a project, or maybe inpatient. Then kick myself after for not taking the before.
Kathleen

Lisa said...

I LOVE IT!!!

HUGS FROM MAINE

Lisa Shatzer said...

Wow, what a find. Great make-over.
I'm going to hit the Goodwill soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kathy D said...

Your are an inspiration...The dresser looks like a million bucks!

Fabulously french said...

It looks fab. Your instructions make it sound easy - I am now going to keep my eye out for something nice to paint.

Leeann

Sheryl said...

It looks great! I redid an old dresser for our bedroom, and am about to redo another old dresser for my daughter. I love old because they are solid.

Sheryl

Leigh said...

Well done you - it looks fabulous!

Leigh (Brabourne Farm)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, I just love painting old furniture. You did a fabulous job with this old chest. It is gorgeous now!

the nelson family said...

that looks fantastic! i just had someone paint an old one we had in storage! love those kind of finds!

Melissa said...

I love it! What type of paint finish do you use?

AnNicole @ OurSuburbanCottage said...

Great job! I'm on the lookout for a new dresser for my bedroom. Mine is just way to small to hold everything it needs to hold...I must have A LOT of "lounging" clothes and jeans.

Thanks for the great tutorial.

The 5 Bickies said...

It looks fabulous and just the right fit!

fourdoghome said...

Love it! Refurbish is wonderful. Your such a talent. Your an inspiration!

Amy said...

How did you cover up the old holes from the previous drawer pulls? Thanks, Amy

Mandi said...

Thank you for this post! I love the distressed look, and keep trying to explain to my hubby this strange hobby I'll be picking up as we redecorate our house. Thanks for the info!

hopeful #1 said...

I love it!

Lisa Holman said...

Definitely a work of art. I too am posting a dresser redo on my blog tonight and almost forgot to take the before pictures. Why do we do that? LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to mention
that I've really enjoyed surfing around your weblog posts. In any case I will be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!

My blog post :: More Info

Anonymous said...

Study much more about Angela Marchetti's weight loss achievement here

Feel free to surf to my blog: top weight loss foods list

Anonymous said...

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and
you're just too great. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a great web site.

Stop by my site: click this site

Anonymous said...

I am not italian, and i truly got practically nothing against them, but I
listen to females expressing that italian guys are soooo sizzling, and beautiful,
with design looks, but these very same girls are with men who're not italian. And if they're
italian, they undoubtedly do not look like models. I imply I can recognize the aggravation of women
after they see males ogling at models/skinny girls,
and it makes me question regardless of whether my physical look is suitable or not.
So my question is are guys of other ethnicities significantly less attractive?
could it be a fantasy of each woman to be with an italian dude?


Look into my web blog; how to create attraction with a woman

Anonymous said...

Hey man excellent report.
But what about static contraction for constructing muscle?
once you delay your max feasible bodyweight in your strongest feasible for 5 sec's and your workout's
over. Many people have extra ten lbs of muscle in ten months by static contraction.


My page :: workout program to build lean muscle mass

Anonymous said...

SecondLove is really a fast growing Facebook courting application.
SecondLove connects you with singles from across the world.

It gives you exceptional quality free online courting experience on
Fb. It really is fast, easy and easy to use.

Feel free to visit my webpage - online dating websites for college students

Anonymous said...

lovely sheds. it is alway nice to possess a buautiful sheds.
It inspire me a lot. thanks.

my site :: cheap arrow sheds

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...