Sunday, December 5, 2010

~Christmas decorating at the lake~

I've been busy decking the halls here at the Thompson house!
This is a long post, so you might want to grab a cup of coffee....
As you walk up to our front door, you see this beautiful wreath.
This was created just for me by a sweet girl named Emily at
You can visit her website here.



I just love it.
She even added little fish and a moose to tie
in with the setting out here at the lake.
Her work is gorgeous, be sure to check out her website.

A lot of you have asked about my house numbers on the door.
I got them at a company called wonderful graffiti, but sadly, they have closed their doors.
If you still want the numbers, hopefully you can find them here.



When you walk through the front door you are taken into the kitchen.
I have set up a special spot for the kids this season to make their own hot cocoa and stay warm on these chilly days!


All the necessities are here.
Underneath the shelf with the mugs on it is a microwave.
They have mini marshmallows, candy canes, mugs, and of course, the hot cocoa.
{I must admit that I have been raiding the kids cocoa station!}



I can't remember where I found these tags, but aren't they cute?


Yum.


Moving onto the living room.
I kept things quite simple.
The kids got to decorate the tree this year
{pictures coming soon}


I filled a rusty cast iron urn with paper whites
and added some ribbon and Christmas ornaments.


I added some old books tied with twine and
mercury glass ornaments from Pottery Barn a few years back.


My favorite thing is this advent calendar I made a few nights ago.
I had a old frame laying around so I cut a piece of wood to fit the opening.
I painted it "slate" by Restoration Hardware, added cup hooks, some simple tags from the office supply store,
{which I embellished with number stickers and glitter}
and a variety of little ornaments.


The idea is to take an ornament off and place it on the tree every day in December.




I used a lot of vintage silver trays under my arrangements.
The fresh greenery smells amazing.

All this is on the table behind the couch.
There is a big rusty star above those 3 photos on the wall.



I added a bit of leopard print this year.
I already had a leopard print pillow on my couch.
I tied a bit of ribbon around the bases of the lamps to tie it all together.



On the coffee table I used a smaller vintage cast
iron urn to hold mini Christmas ornaments.

Again, placed on top of a silver tray.


I carried the leopard theme into the dining room on this tree.


I printed out these little tags courtesy of Emily at Jones Design Company.
This woman oozes talent,
if you haven't already seen her blog,
you must go!



I filled little burlap bags with fresh greenery and hung them from the branches.



The tree sits in a large black urn.
I simply added more burlap around the base of it and used
more of Emily's tags to wrap little gifts.



I decorated the dining shelves very simply too.
I love this glittery reindeer!
The framed art was a gift from a friend.


I have quite a few white poinsettias this year.


I hung a little ornament from the pot.


I placed vintage books in muted hues on
the shelf along with my collection of white ironstone.

I made this frame,
I love the pattern!



< On the table I simply placed more paperwhites
in this canvas tote, and topped it off with moss.



On one side of the dining room there is a littl niche that leads you to the stairway.
My friend Jen
posted this great printable image of silent night.
You can find it here.


I added some simple bay leaf garland from Pottery Barn
and couple of my favorite Christmas ornamnets.



I hope you enjoyed the little peak into our home.
Thank you for all the comments on my kitchen re-do.
I read all your comments and they mean the world to me!
Have a fabulous Sunday!
xoxo


67 comments:

mapleandmagnolia.com said...

That hot chocolate station is the cutest thing ever! Of course, everything else is gorgeous as usual!

Little Leslie said...

I adore your ornament advent calendar. What a great idea! beautiful decorations too!

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign said...

Everything looks amazing! How cute is the hot cocoa station?! The wreath is beautiful, as well:)

jennywren said...

The hot chocolate station is my favorite thing! What a terrific idea! Everything looks beautiful.

Megan Lee said...

What a stunning wreath! And I'm stealing your hot chocolate station- so cute!! Love it all :)

Kendra {House of Ficek} said...

Your home is so festive and beautiful! My favorite part HAS to be that cocoa station, creative and beautiful.

All That Jazz said...

SO creative, love the little touches and details! I think everyone could use their own hot cocoa making station! ;-)
Can't wait to see what your kids did with the tree. I am officially decorating my tree and home tonight....I can't wait!!!
~xo/michelle~
p.s. I didn't grab a cup of coffee but I'd just sat down at the computer with a frozen burrito and a rootbeer (lunch of champions) and saw your post....LOL! ;-)

BearShe Cottage said...

You have a beautiful home. I especially liked your idea of the advent calendar of taking an ornament off each day and put it on the tree. That sounds like fun even for an adult.

A Thrifted Market said...

Simply beautiful! You were the first blog I ever found and still totally in love with your talent! Thanks for inspiring!

Kiri said...

Everything is gorgeous! My favorites are the hot chocolate station and that beautiful advent calendar. So pretty! Have a wonderful holiday season :)

~Kiri

Rachel said...

~~*Beautiful and so cozy!!~*~*Love the cocoa station for the kiddos!! ;)hugs,Rachel~*~*

Ashley said...

So beautiful!!! The cocoa station is just a great idea!! Xoxoxo

Anna See said...

My first time here--- I love how you decorated for Christmas and the cocoa station is adorable!

Kat said...

Oh my gosh, I love everything about this post! Love the hot chocolate station, the wreath, the vignettes, everything!

Steph said...

The cocoa station is cute! I am going to have to try it as when my kids get older! Right now, Arlynn might have it gone in 1 day and if there was any left, the other kids would make a giant mess out of it! Maybe in...3-4 years? LOL

Debby said...

Everything looks totally amazing, how beautiful.
Debby

SHERRI ROCHA said...

you are a truley gifted women i havent seen a thing that i wouldnt want for my own house you can make a little corner so inviting and a pleasure to see love the papper whites and the childrens hot coca station truley so sweet xoxo sherri

Roselle said...

Everything is so serene and beautiful but that advent calendar is my favorite. The most adorable/creative calendar I have ever seen. I love it!!!
Happy Holidays
Roselle

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Everything is so beautiful! The wreath and all your other decorations are fabulous. I especially love the hot chocolate station.
xo,
Sherry

Simply LKJ said...

Melaine,
It looks fabulous! I love how you kept it simple and rustic. Love the hot chocolate station!

Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek said...

wow. it is all just gorgeous! I love the hot chocolate making station.

Hoots Momma said...

okay this is not about the beautiful christmas decorations however they are lovely... how did you make the "classic garlic dressing wall art??? LOVE IT

Jeanneoli said...

The house looks wonderful. I saw that advent calendar idea online too! I can't remember where. Your recreation looks amazing.

dreams on 34th street said...

Amazing! Fun and Meaningful design! So Inspirational! Merry Christmas!

Custom Comforts said...

Love your lake house! Beautiful decorating ~ every picture looks like it came out of a magazine. I love the hot chocolate station. I'm your newest follower.
Cindy

NanaDiana said...

Looking wonderful! I love that it is fresh and beautiful without being over the top! Hugs-Diana

Pat said...

Just like everything you do, it is perfection. Your home looks so beautiful and inviting for the holidays. Love the hot cocoa station.

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

Everything looks awesome. Youcan decorate my house anytime. The Bavarian Christmas linky party is still open-won’t you come and join us at http://dobermans-by-the-sea.blogspot.com/2010/11/1st-christmas-linky-party-at-dobermans.html and while you are there join the give-a-ways going on.

julie said...

it looks wonderful! i have a countdown very similar to yours except mine is covered in fabric! and there are a couple of other things similar to mine which makes me happy! happy because you are so good at decorating! thanks for sharing your christmas decorating!

Vintage Junky said...

It all looks fabulous, but I love the hot cocoa station! Genius :)
happy Christmas!

this blessed nest said...

everything is simply beautiful.

love the idea of a hot chocolate station! your pots with paper whites are gorgeous. i love the vintage texture of your urn & then the white pot with the words = fun!

beautiful home.

~xo!
kellie

MamaBear said...

Yep, you've gone and done it again! It's all so heavenly. I can't decide which room I want to curl up in! (Just when I thought the kitchen was the place!)

xxMB

MamaBear said...

Yep, you've gone and done it again! It's all so heavenly. I can't decide which room I want to curl up in! (Just when I thought the kitchen was the place!)

xxMB

Leslie said...

Everything looks fabulous! Great job!

Dear Lillie said...

Everything looks gorgeous, Melaine, but I especially love the hot cocoa station and the paperwhites!!!!

Laura @ Ms Smartie Pants said...

Gorgeous!!!! Don't know what I love the most!!! Thanks for sharing.

A Lasting First Impression said...

Melaine,
Thank you for featuring the wreath! It was so fun to work with you! The rest of your decorating turned out soooo lovely! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!!

Rosanne said...

Love Love Love everything you've done. The advent calendar, the hot chocolate station. I love the Silent Night too! It's perfect for the frame I keep on my island counter. Sadly, her shop is closed until the 11th! But it has given me some ideas on what to do. Thanks! and Merry Christmas to you!

Noel Solomon said...

All so festive and fun!! You've got me in the spirit now. :)

Wanted to invite you to come join my holiday GIVEAWAY

Kindly,
Noel

sheri martin said...

What great idea's! I especially love the hot chocolate station and the advent calendar! Precious! How fun for the kids!

paige said...

girlie, you had me at that charming hot cocoa station!!!
love the rusty urns
love the touches of silver
& leopard
love it all!! merry christmas
xo

Kaitlyn @ The Birds Nest said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the hot chocolate station & the advent ornament board!! I am definitely going to try them...thanks so much for sharing!

Kaitlyn @ The Birds Nest

Lissa said...

very very cute melaine!

Elisabeths Borg said...

OMG soo many beatiful pictures. Thank you for the inspiration.

Gracious Gatherings said...

I love your floor! What brand of wood filler did you use? I have never gotten it to stain well. Thanks
citygirl2803@gmail.com

Jen J. said...

Beautiful job!!!! I love the subway art gifted from a friend. Please ask her where she purchased it! I want one!
jungbluth@mail.com

Dreamlife/Classic Style said...

oh my,,you have a lovely taste and you are so creative, thanks for all the inspiration :=)

Meg said...

I love the hot cocoa station, I might just have to make one for my kids, I'm sure they'd thank you a thousand times over! :D

Amanda said...

wow! I could look at those pictures all day! BEAUTIFUL! and the hot cocoa station is tooooo sweet!!

Carol@SofasandSage.com said...

I'm so glad I found youthrough the Nesting Place. Your images are stunning! I'll be back again and again. Merry Christmas!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Beautiful!! I really like your advent calendar too.

Just B @ Love Where You Live said...

Your holiday decor is absolutely beautiful! Everything appealed to my taste, especially your use of urns. I LOVE urns, so versatile in decorating. Very well done, you have such an obvious talent. Happy Holidays! :)

Papaw's Girl said...

While it is not my personal decorating taste, I recognize the good taste and talent you have. Everything is just gorgeous!!!

Belinda said...

I love, love, love your Kids Hot Chocolate Station. So much fun.

And I also love the ornament "countdown to christmas." How fun for kids to put a different ornament on the tree every day in December.

Beautiful decorations.

Pixie said...

I LOVE your take on the "Advent" calendar. . . a fresh take that I would like to use with my lil grandsons. So glad to have discovered MY SWEET SAVANNAH!

postbox said...

A small light is encased in a base, above which a tube of colored liquid is placed. When the light heats up, the liquid bubbles inside the tube for a nice effect!

Buy Artificial Christmas Trees said...

So awesome..!! I love your collection and love the way of decoration you have shared.....

Maria la Montagne said...

I love the hot chocolate station!
I have a coffee corner in my kitchen, still no christmas decoration, you inspired me to do something similar! thanks for sharing,
lots of love & hugs,

Play angry Birds said...

Nice Post..Beautiful...

Lauren Burgess said...

Can you tell me where you bought the recipe wall decal or wallpaper? I'd love to do something similar to my space. Thanks!

click here said...

Done it so well. Keep it coming.

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

I love the hot chocolate station, but even more the graphic/recipe on your wall. Have you told us how you did it and I missed it? Would love to know! Thanks! ~Zuni

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

I love the hot chocolate station, but even more the graphic/recipe on your wall. Have you told us how you did it and I missed it? Would love to know! Thanks! ~Zuni

SurfBux GlobalMarket said...

Decorating your home during Christmas could be lots of fun. It's a fantastic method to bond with friends and family. Fairy lights, colorful festoons, snowflake cutouts, and ribbons surely can make the atmosphere festive. So work up your own creativity, and create magic with Christmas decorations.

Lizzie Saito said...

I love the hot chocolate station! I'd love to set up something like this on my parties! I would even make this more attractive by adding hand blown glass figurines. It will simply make the station more attractive.

Prasad Kumar said...

Hey, that's pretty cool. I like the woody and rustic effects that those Christmas decorations give to the tree and everything is has been put to. thanks for sharing ideas!

marilyn scott said...

How I love those rustic ornaments and decorations. Such great Christmas decorating ideas here. You're giving me inspiration to decorate this year. Have a great day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...