Tuesday, October 30, 2012

~a new color on our dining room table~

When I bought new chairs for our dining table it never occurred to me until I brought them home that our unfinished wood table would suddenly look orange.
I lived with it like that for a while but just couldn't take it anymore.
I tried a pin on pinterest to age the wood using steel wool and vinegar.
Didn't work~at all.
So, off to Home Depot I went and I came home with a $4 can of weathered grey stain.
Well, what do you know?
It was the perfect color.
{click on pictures to enlarge}
I love how they actually go together now!
 I got the grain sack table runner from Dreamy Whites.
I have a slight crush on it.
I also got a new rug after seeing it in the latest 
Better Homes and Gardens magazine. 
Can you say IMPULSIVE?
I love it though and it was very inexpensive.
I fell in love with the house in the magazine. 
It was neutral with bits of orange.
As you can see, I hopped on that train too and added a vintage educational chart from one of my favorite shops Joyworks. It has just the right amount of orange.


 Here is a side by side with the before on the left.
I am so happy with the change and the fact that the table makeover cost under 
$20 including the stain and the wax stripper.
I hope you like the after!

FREE SHIPPING IN MY ETSY STORE ENDS TOMORROW!
ENTER
FREESHIPPING
AT CHECKOUT!
xoxo

UPDATE:
I HAVE A LOT OF QUESTIONS ON PRODUCTS USED, SO HERE WE GO!
I USED THIS GEL STRIPPER ON THE TOP WHERE I HAD PREVIOUSLY APPLIED WAX. TOOK IT RIGHT OFF, NO HARSH SMELL.
STAIN COLOR IS WEATHERED GRAY. 
I SIMPLY BRUSED ON AND WIPED OFF WITH PAPER TOWELS.
YOU CAN BUY IT HERE.
HOPE THIS HELPS!

26 comments:

Miss Hannah B. said...

Did you strip it first? I would love to do this to my bannister but I am a little nervous. Can you give some tips!! Thanks so much

Something Nice and Pretty said...

What a difference! Love the stained table and the chairs are so neat! I pinned one pic to my before and after board!

Melaine Thompson said...

Hi Hannah! Yes, I used a citrus stripper. You let it sit for 30 min and wipe off, no smell~awesome! It's called citristrip and I got it at home depot! Hope this helps!

AntiqueChase said...

LOVE. can you let me know what brand color stain you used? I had a new couch come yesterday and all of a sudden I hate the pine in the room. Never looked orange but now it does and I can't afford to not like you wood! I would be so grateful!

Melaine Thompson said...

Sure! I just have to find it! :)

Dawn, said...

love the subtle change with the stain. Brand of the stain you used?

Judy said...

please post the name of the stain (and brand) you used...or you can e=mail me at jdy277@aol.com.

thanks!

Mar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mar said...

Stunning!!

Acorn to Oak said...

It looks so good! I love it!

T said...

Love this grey stain...just fabulous.

Would love to have this finish on a walnut side table that I want to redo. Guess I should try stripping the walnut finish off first.

Novice here.

But what do I have to lose.

You have great taste. :)

MINHA VIDA DE CAMPO said...

Adorei sua mesa e as cadeiras ficaram lindas. Bonito seu arranjo de mesa nessa tabua.
Obrigada pelas dicas.

the designers muse said...

Thanks for the tips. Your "new" dining room looks great!
Best,
Jennifer

{Simply Cozy Nest} said...

It looks fantastic, great product (Citristrip)

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

Awesome! Love how that turned out. I love the look of wood stained a color like that.

Designs By Pinky said...

I love it! We have a very similiar unfinished table and my hubby keeps saying we have to finish it. I am surprised that the weathered gray stain now looks brownish to me:) But, I love it and the chairs. Thanks for the details. XO, Pinky

Debra Hall said...

It looks fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

Nailed it!

Love the end chairs too

Heather

Jana Johnson Label said...

Thanks for the shout out!
The chart looks great!

Monica Hart said...

The table looks rich & divine and the rug...Oh my! LOVE!
xxo

Between You and Me said...

I didn't think I could like your table more, but I do.

You did a fantastic job, girl, and it doesn't look "homemade." :)

BJ and Shalene said...

I'm thrilled to see you had good luck with that stain. We bought the exact same can to use on a bed my husband is making for our son, and I've yet to try it ... Was hesitant that it might not turn out well. Love the results you had with it!

Caroline Velazquez said...

Did you strip it first? I would love to do this to my bannister but I am a little nervous. Can you give some tips!! Thanks so much

Johnna said...

Would you mind saying where you got the rug? I love it and if it's inexpensive I would like to get one. Thanks!

Kathy said...

Awesome, as always!

Michle Smith said...

Dining Room Furniture needs to be exclusive for your house. The dining room is an area where whole family sits together and share daily activities with good food.
Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...